Mental Illnesses (Part I): Anxiety

Jasmine Basila

According to a late 2017 statistic by the World Health Organization, one in four people will be affected with some type of mental illness in their lives. Despite this, 75% of that group will remain untreated.

The statistics reflect the amount ignorance in the field of mental health. It is an obligation to try and keep ourselves and our loved ones in good spirits. Thus, in a series of articles I shall work to shed light on three of the most common mental health issues: anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder.

First on the list is the anxiety, the prevailing disorder of the three. You’ve surely heard before that everyone feels anxious every now and then– it’s usually a feeling of nausea and anticipation pooling in one’s center. Try and imagine having this feeling constantly, building and building, throwing you into a spiral of fear from the moment you rise out of bed. This is a symptom of what WebMD.com categorizes as GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), which has many branches– social anxiety (in which one has trouble especially in social situations), panic disorder (a, technically, more severe form of anxiety), and others.

What tends to accompany anxiety are episodes called panic attacks. Your heart rushes, you feel choked and dizzy. Sometimes these are caused by too much stress. In small cases, they can also simply pop out of the blue. Either way, panic attacks are evidently not pleasant.

In the event of a panic attack, or being on the brink of one, many professionals suggest breathing exercises to even one’s heart rate. That, or routine meditation to prevent attacks in certain times. These don’t work for everyone, of course, and there are multiple other ways to treat anxiety: psychologytools.com offers a variety of items to study for help, not just with the aforementioned disorder.

If someone in your life suffers from an anxiety disorder, one of the best things you can do is be patient and gentle. Anxiety can be caused by too much stimulation, in the broadest terms, therefore pushing someone with such an illness isn’t helpful at all. Show your support by reading up on their illness and learning what is good for them and what is not– do not make any assumptions.

Please reach out and get help if you or another shows symptoms. Anxiety, despite how commonplace it may seem, can be destructive to one’s lifestyle, and if it is not treated properly, whoever suffers may forever live in irrational and terrible fear. Nobody deserves such a thing.